The humidity of it all. Just eat.


Watching the Winter Olympics opening ceremony the other night started me longing for a cooler climate. I am so tired of this weather. If it's not raining it's hot and steamy - and raining. There is so much moisture in the air that even without the rain my washing takes days to dry out. Yes yes there is always the dryer I hear you say. However unless I have an underwear or school uniform crisis on my hands I tend not to use it. I figure I pay the electricity company enough.
Yes something in the high minuses would be good. Just enough for a little snow. For those who read this post please just ignore the fact that it was not too long ago that I was whinging that it wasn't hot enough. I'm exercising my prerogative.
I should be grateful that we're not having the heat and conditions that ignites bush fires, particularly after witnessing parts of Victoria wiped off the map this time last year, but I have had enough of this humidity!
So what does one do when one sick to death of the heat? Cook of course. Makes absolutely no sense at all seeing as it involves a hot stove and I've yet to meet a kitchen with proper ventilation, however hear me out.
I was feeling incredibly cranky from being sticky and sweaty for something like the eighth week in a row and was looking for something to take my mind off it. I also needed some breakfast. I grabbed my faithful little book - 'Skinny Bitch In The Kitch' - I picked up somewhere in New Zealand last year (where exactly I don't remember - too much holiday cheer) and flicked through for a recipe I hadn't tried yet. I found Pecan-Crusted French Toast. I didn't have all the ingredients and am not as healthy as the authors I must confess, but I was able to substitute some things quite well. Now trying a simple new recipe to the cool tones of some really good jazz lifts the mood exponentially. Not only was my disposition greatly improved by the end but my stomach was full as well. Quite a good combination don't you think?
Here is the recipe and my subs:
350ml soya or rice milk (I used normal lite white)
3 tablespoons cornflour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 tablespoons chickpea flour or brown rice flour (I used normal plain flour)
100g finely chopped pecans (I had slivered almonds so used those)
2 tablespoons refined coconut oil, or more as needed for cooking (I used margarine - like I said I'm not as healthy)
6-8 slices vegan wholemeal bread (I used plain white bread)
Maple syrup for serving.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, cornflour and cinnamon. Whisk in the flour. Transfer the mixture to a shallow bowl. Place the pecans in another shallow bowl.
In a large frying pan over medium heat, melt the coconut oil. One slice at a time, dip the bread in the milk mixture, turning to soak both sides. Dip one side in the pecans, pressing to coat. Arrange the bread in the frying pan pecan side down.
Cook for 2 - 3 minutes, until the pecans are well browned. Carefully turn the bread and continue cooking until the second side is browned, 2-3 minutes. Serve immediately with maple syrup.
Note: I made half quantities as there was only lil ol' me.
For a more birds eye view of the toast see here.




Comments

Popular Posts