Saintly Mother.

Mother Mary MacKillop will be now know as Saint Mary of The Cross. I'm not a Catholic but I'm still rather excited at the news. I didn't know much about her so I did what every other human does when researching nowadays. I Googled her. Here is a very brief history.
She was born in Melbourne to Scottish immigrant parents in 1842.
She was the eldest of 8 children.
She worked as a governess, clerk and teacher before taking her vows.
She started her first school in a disused stable in South Australia in 1866.
She was quite rebellious and was actually excommunicated for a brief time for insubordination.
At the time of her death in 1909, at age 67, she was in charge of 750 nuns who ran 117 schools, as well as homes and refuges for the needy.
That's some woman.

Comments

Popular Posts