Monday musings - mayo with whimsy

This morning it rained rained RAINED!!!!!  Daughter and I dashed from the car to the school gate as quick as our galoshes would take us.  I didn't feel like tackling the errands I set for myself.  All I wanted was to curl up with a good book, mug of hot chocolate and enjoy the early Autumn weather.  But alas,  this week I have set myself the task of catching up on "jobs".  You know the ones - the little things you never get around to do like pick up your husband's shoes from the cobbler, book daughter in for dentist checkup, sort through all the stuff that's piled up on you desk (again), dust, the list goes on.
So after a couple of hours of just trying to tidy the house post weekend - I'm still going at it as I type - I get despondent and decide to take a break.
So what does one do when she has a head full of whimsy?
Make mayonnaise  of course.
Soft music and mayonnaise.  I'm not even a huge fan of the old mayo.  I just felt like making some.  I guess my inner Nigella was busting to get out as I hadn't cooked anything for a while.
So here's my recipe for beating the housework blues.
You need
2 egg yolks
225ml ground nut or sunflower oil
75ml extra virgin olive oil
Juice of half a lemon.
Start whisking the yolks with a pinch of salt.
Very gradually add the ground nut oil, whisking all the while.
Add the olive oil (still whisking)
Add the lemon juice (keep whisking)
When all mixed add extra lemon juice and some pepper to your taste.

Even if the mayo splits and curdles and is useful only for the garbage bin it doesn't matter.  Just the action of beating the hell out of something for 10 minutes gets rid of any frustration and does wonders for the soul.
Maybe there's a method to my mayo madness after all.

Comments

Popular Posts