Thou shalt not spend (too much)


We're well into February now so it's time I let you in on the second of my 12 changes for 2014.

The B word.

Budget!
I can hear my credit card fainting as I type.

After half of the Christmas holidays spent with absolutely no money in the bank at the end of each week I decided I needed to change.

From now on, if it's not essential and I don't have the cash for it, it's not meant to be mine (well at least until my next pay and then I will re-evaluate - a girl can go without shoe buying for only so long).

The credit card is for emergencies only (OK, now I'm sure I can hear it sobbing).

I started the month extremely well - No No NO I said to all the great specials sent to my inbox.

And then I went shoe shopping with hubby.

I needed new sandals, my old faithfuls having finally given up the ghost.
I had $100 left after bills.
Hubby knew exactly where to go, and I found 4 pairs of sandals for $60.
Perfect.

Then I spied a pair of ultra cool boots - costing more than all my sandals put together.
Hubby takes out his credit card and buys me the boots.
And I don't stop him.

Seems I'm great at sticking to my budget - and also great at spending other people's money.

(Completely random and unrelated photo of my foot - showing one of the sandals that has now gone to the Great Garbage Bin - taken Feb 2013)

Comments

  1. Deb, I will give you all the encouragement you need to stick to your plan. It can be done. When I divorced my 1st husband he left me $12,000 debt on credit cards which I proudly paid off in 3 years all by myself and not really missing anything I needed. What you need to do is "want" to be debt free more than anything else. I also got a weekend job which all the money went on the credit card so as not to touch my household budget. I worked 7 days a week for three years. It has made me stronger and wiser. So bravo to you! You can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spending other people's money... well, that's not a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I do appreciate each and every one and will do my best to reply. I do apologise for the comment moderation I've been forced to put into place thanks to Mr Dark's spamming. It was not so much the spamming that bothered me - it was his appalling grammar.

Popular Posts