The Vatican - Part 4 (Raphael's room)

Imagine having a room like this?
Is it a tad too busy?
Or your cup of tea?
Well this is what happens when one commissions Raphael to paint the bedroom.



I love the illusion of an upper corridor disappearing into the distance.



Oops.
Actually I think it's meant to represent the throwing down of false idols.


This one was my favourite.
The School Of Athens by Raphael.
It depicted the great philosophers of the ages including Plato, Arisotle, Socrates and Pythagoras.

Raphael was a great admirer of Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo and painted them as some of the characters.



The face of Plato is Leonardo.


The face of Heraclitus is Michelangelo.


And Raphael painted himself as Apelles.


To be continued..........

The Vatican, Rome - July 2015

Comments

  1. You know, I never knew Plato was Leonardo and I don't know how I didn't know that, with an art history minor! Maybe I knew and forgot but of course one look and it's pretty obvious. I love Raphael and so many wonderful images in this post. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes I got severe neck cramp in this room. :)

      Delete
  3. I know diddly-squat about art. The word I'm looking for is something like, "Wow!"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I do appreciate each and every one and will do my best to reply. I do apologise for the comment moderation I've been forced to put into place thanks to Mr Dark's spamming. It was not so much the spamming that bothered me - it was his appalling grammar.

Popular Posts