Basics 101 - The Perfect Jeans

Last weekend Hubby and I were strolling through Chatswood when we came across a Fletcher Jones store.  We were shocked.  We thought all Fletcher Jones stores had disappeared.  But here it was.  However our momentary happiness turned sour when we saw the closing down sign.  And they were having a sale.  Need I say more?

I've been after a pair of white jeans for a little while and they had one pair left in my size.  Well I"m not one for ignoring signs now am I?

Now before you gasp in horror,  white jeans can be rather cool and classy.  Think of Jackie O in her white pants, black T, open toed sandals and huge sunnies (a look I'm still trying to replicate - I just need the perfect sunnies).  I plan to wear them in Winter with ballet flats, a big comfy jumper and a scarf.

I hear a lot of women (mostly my age) talking about problems they have finding the perfect pair of jeans.  There are so many styles out there now it can get a little confusing.  However I may be of a little service.
This is just what I've discovered through trying and buying, only to throw, so many styles of jeans.

1. If you're over 40 don't even think about anything but high or medium/regular waisted jeans.  Nothing looks worse like a muffin top especially if you're older.  Even if you have a stomach like Madonna I don't recommend it.  Leave the hipsters for the younger gals.  (note: high waisted doesn't mean under the boobs girls - just normal around the waist, also called regular)

2. The style I prefer is a high waisted, stretch boot-leg and I'll tell you why.  Thighs.  I don't have huge legs, but they're not the toned dancers leg of 20 years ago either, and I do have the rounded thighs I so cruelly used to call saddlebags.  I also have a rounder bottom than I used to.  I have no problem with my shape, however I can no longer wear the straight-leg jeans I wore in the past.  Boot-leg jeans are a little wider at the bottom (however not as wide as the bell bottoms of old thank goodness) and balance out the look of my leg better.  Straight-leg jeans just make me look pear shaped now.  However if you have great legs, no matter what your age, wear them because they are timeless and look great with everything.

3.  Colour - navy blue, black and white.  I have 4 pairs of navy and now one white pair.  My black ones finally went to jean heaven and I'm on the lookout for another pair.  Having one black and one white just makes a little difference and can dress up your outfit.  After that just mix it up.  There are so many colours out there so have fun.

4. Try all styles and sizes until you find one that suits you.  Also be aware that not only do they come in different waist heights, but leg lengths too.  I once bought a high waisted stretch boot-leg jean in my size without trying it on and looking at the label properly only to find that they were short leg and my legs are rather long.

I usually get my jeans at Target because they have such a great range and good quality for a really good price.  Even if you prefer other stores, if you're having trouble finding a style, I suggest you head to Target, grab all the different styles, lengths and heights you can find, head to the dressing rooms and have fun.  Once you find the style that suits you best look at the label and write it down.  Then you can happily walk into any store and say "I'm looking for a size 10 high waisted, regular leg length boot-leg jean please" and sound as if you've been doing it for years.

On my turntable:   Hildegard Von Bingen - vision

Comments

  1. Une boutique qui ne manque certainement pas d'intérêt...
    Gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oui. Dommage qu'il est fermé.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I do appreciate each and every one and will do my best to reply. I do apologise for the comment moderation I've been forced to put into place thanks to Mr Dark's spamming. It was not so much the spamming that bothered me - it was his appalling grammar.

Popular Posts