The children of stare - Winter and Walter de la Mare

Tomorrow is the official start of Winter.
I've been reading a lot of poetry lately,
I thought to balance the light of the last poem, I'd add a touch of Winter to the mix.
And it also gives me the opportunity to post some photos of an old graveyard I explored recently.
I'll post more on the history of that later.
In the mean time, please enjoy........

 

The Children Of Stare

Winter is fallen early
On the house of Stare;
Birds in reverberating flocks
Haunt its ancestral box;
Bright are the plenteous berries
In clusters in the air.



Still is the fountain’s music,
The dark pool icy still,
Whereupon a small and sanguine sun
Floats in a mirror on,
Into a West of crimson,
From a South of daffodil.



’Tis strange to see young children
In such a wintry house;
Like rabbits’ on the frozen snow
Their tell-tale footprints go;
Their laughter rings like timbrels
’Neath evening ominous:



Their small and heightened faces
Like wine-red winter buds;
Their frolic bodies gentle as
Flakes in the air that pass,
Frail as the twirling petal
From the briar of the woods.



Above them silence lours,
Still as an arctic sea;
Light fails; night falls; the wintry moon
Glitters; the crocus soon
Will open grey and distracted
On earth’s austerity:



Thick mystery, wild peril,
Law like an iron rod:—
Yet sport they on in Spring’s attire,
Each with his tiny fire
Blown to a core of ardour
By the awful breath of God.

Walter de la Mare

Ok, it's gloomy ;) but I really wanted to post these photos.
Promise my next post will be brighter. :)

Comments

  1. And it suits the photos wonderfully! As it happens, it also suits the weather we're having here in my neck of the woods at the moment. Have a beautiful weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photos and the poetry are a wonderful match of mood and perspective. Love the shadows and the angles, all in b/w.

    Bises,
    Genie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you everyone. We're having the same weather here Shell ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I do appreciate each and every one and will do my best to reply. I do apologise for the comment moderation I've been forced to put into place thanks to Mr Dark's spamming. It was not so much the spamming that bothered me - it was his appalling grammar.

Popular Posts