New side icon and a thumping good read

Hello hello everyone!  Finally back from my little unplanned blog break.  I had a week off and one thing and another - plus a sick hubby (and a daughter who won't relinquish the PC) - I've not even looked at the computer.

I've been doing lots of reading and knitting (posts on that last one coming soon).  I have sooooo many books - books that have been sitting on my shelves for years and I'd not touched yet!   Bad bad bad!  Of course it doesn't help that I'm addicted to book shops (online and otherwise) and seem to add to my collection before I've read my older volumes.  Fiction and non-fiction, I love them all.

And because I love reading and talking about books, I thought I'd add another little icon at the side just for fun.  I've called it "On my nightstand" and it's a small list of - well - what's on my nightstand - complete with links. The books I'm gobbling at the moment and books I've recently gobbled.  You'll find it on the left just above the categories. 




To start off the list is a recent addiction on mine - Phyrne Fisher murder mysteries.

Picture of audio book from ABC website


Death At Victoria Dock is the fourth book in the series (yes I've already read the first 3).
Set in 1920's Melbourne, Phryne is a rich bright young thing, with a poverty background, and a talent for solving mysteries.  Sassy and brave she gets involved in all sorts of mischief, but always comes up trumps. 

In this book, Phyrne witnesses a shooting and is shot at in the process.  The victim bleeds to death in Phryne's arms (and all over her silk shirt).  Enraged at the death of a young man, the ruined silk shirt, and the shot out windscreen of her car, she vows to find those responsible.  Along the way she finds a runaway teen, and still has time for romantic interludes. 

What a life!


Comments

Popular Posts