Memories of a Montmartre apartment


Follow the narrow cobbled street to a modest black door







Through a hall and a courtyard
and up rickety stairs 
leading to an equally shy red door







Odd locks and fixtures




Reveals a charming kitchen







And the smallest shower in existence.




However it does boast a teenage retreat / loft




And we shared the local grocer with Amélie 




The views won't make it on any tourist brochure,







But one hears music and laughter.
One smells amazing cooking
and witnesses Paris life
through these windows




Is it the most luxurious place I've ever stayed?

No

Is it the place where I've felt truly part of the community, however briefly,
and the one I have the fondest memories of?

Oui!


Montmartre, Paris - June 2015
Image of the building facade from Google Street View.









Comments

  1. The best way to discover Paris or any place. Love travel even in my country !
    Hello from Lausanne, Switzerland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely agree. And Switzerland is such a beautiful place to explore.

      Delete
    2. Thank for the compliment on my country.. I jut came back, with friends living there, from a tour in Suiss German. I agree, they are so beautifull old housses, chalets, mazots... I have publish. Have a look. J'en ai encore plein les yeux.
      Keep well. Bonne journée.

      Delete
  2. I like it- it really has a whole lot of character! (small shower and all!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly had heaps of character. It was perfect. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

      Delete
  3. Debs, I love the tour you have shown us in Montmartre, and I only wish that I had been there this June. There is always more than the view from the window as you pointed out. The sounds, the smells, the Frenchness of the place!

    Bises,
    Genie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How much fun would that have been if we were both there in June! I did feel very much like a local when I came out of the local shop with an armful of dinner ingredients and wine and a Chinese tourist took my photo 😊

      Delete
  4. I can see why! I imagine this was a wonderful trip. It's always best when you can assimilate a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We stayed in some beautiful hotels in other places but this is the place I have the best memories of.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I do appreciate each and every one and will do my best to reply. I do apologise for the comment moderation I've been forced to put into place thanks to Mr Dark's spamming. It was not so much the spamming that bothered me - it was his appalling grammar.

Popular Posts