Versailles part 4 - the little little house







Built in the 1760's at the instigation of Madame de Pompadour who wanted to relieve the king's boredom (one can only imagine how), it is really Marie Antoinette who one thinks of when walking these halls.





It was given to her as a present from her husband, Louis XVI in 1774, to enable her to have some privacy away from court life.
She spend many happy hours there with a select group of friends.
Nobody could go there without her personal invitation, not even (so it has been said) her husband.
Below are pictures of her bedroom. 




Modern day visitors could wander around most of the place, but parts were closed off for guided tours only.
No tickets at the door, but you could book online (no free wi fi) or back at the Chateau (yes - the one we had been evacuated from).
Not to worry, we had a pleasant meander anyway.  I tried to close my eyes and imagine what it would have been like back in the 1770's.  The chatter of excited school children and the tired voice of the teacher trying to be heard over the top of the din made me open my eyes and, a bit disoriented, I almost fell into a large potted palm.



Picking up my dignity I quickly moved on and tried to find hubby and daughter.

Daughter had just about reached her limit of people, walking, queues and irritated tourists - but there was one more place I wanted to see before we called it a day.




To be continued......................

Petit Trianon, Versailles, France - June 2015


Comments

  1. Must have been such a fun tour to take! Thanks for taking us along too. A nice break from the winters scenery here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is an exquisitely beautiful building and grounds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one place that I really must visit. Your photos are the next best thing to being there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A real treat to visit this place through your eyes. I love to imagine life as it would have been as I go around old houses but always avoid falling into a palm :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So incredibly gorgeous! I'm a major fan of rococo style and art, so this tour to the creme de la creme epicenter of all things rococo, has been such an enjoyable treat for me.

    Big hugs & joyful New Year's wishes!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  6. i never appreciate the grandeur of the interior so much as i love the magnificent grounds/gardens of these places. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everybody for such lovely comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing this amazing and beautiful tour! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merci beaucoup for the wonderful memories Deb, Aimee and I loved Versailles.. Gorgeous captures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just gasp when I see these. It makes me wonder all the more why we didn't make it to Versailles while we were in France!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I do appreciate each and every one and will do my best to reply. I do apologise for the comment moderation I've been forced to put into place thanks to Mr Dark's spamming. It was not so much the spamming that bothered me - it was his appalling grammar.

Popular Posts