A-Phryneing we will go.

A visit to Old Government House in Parramatta a year ago unearthed some sequined delights.


The costumes from series 3 of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries.





It made me want to throw on a cloche, grab my pearl handled pistol and the dreamy Detective Inspector Jack Robinson, jump into my Hispano Suiza and head for the nearest speakeasy.




I'm actually not sure if they had speakeasys in 1920's Melbourne - I just like saying the word "speakeasy".

Old Government House, Parramatta - April 2016

Comments

  1. Whoever set this display up did a great job. You also did a great job photographing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. It certainly is. I think the costumes give Downton Abbey a run for it's money :)

      Delete
  3. Great shots! Was there ever prohibition in Australia? Somehow, this seems as likely as meeting Mrs Pope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure really. I know that in Sydney in the 1920s they had a sly grog scene which was run by one of mob queens Kate Leigh. She and the other mob queen, Tilly Devine (she ran the brothels and cocaine dealing) were involved in the razor gang wars in Darlinghurst, Kings Cross and Surry Hills. I don't know about Melbourne, but I"m sure they had something similar going on.

      Delete
  4. What a great exhibit! I love Phrynne -- read all the books. I'd be in seventh heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great fun. Love the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Debs, Would have loved to see that exhibit. It was a great era.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was the best decade for womens fashion of the 20th century

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I do appreciate each and every one and will do my best to reply. I do apologise for the comment moderation I've been forced to put into place thanks to Mr Dark's spamming. It was not so much the spamming that bothered me - it was his appalling grammar.

Popular Posts